All scholars are required to serve their obligation in accordance with the terms in their scholarship agreement. Placement and employment of scholars are governed by the Policy on the Placement and Employment of Government Scholars.
The Reporting Process
- Scholars and Bursary Recipients abroad – within one month of completion of programme of study;
- Scholars and Bursary Recipients Local – within 14 days of completion of programme of study.
- on completion of the final examination; or
- on submission of the final paper; or
- at the end of the academic year/semester as the case may be;
Employment - Scholarship Recipients
The GoRTT shall offer employment to the Scholar within three (3) months of reporting, on completion of studies. Without limiting the discretion of the Government, such employment will be determined in accordance with the particulars of the Course of Study in which the Scholar was engaged.
The Deferral of Obligatory Service - All Awards (Scholarships & Bursary)
Recipients may request a deferral of their obligation to serve, thereby postponing the commencement or continuation of their obligatory period. Consideration will be given to this request under the following conditions:
- To pursue postgraduate studies or postdoctoral research that is aligned to the National Development Human Resource Needs of Trinidad and Tobago.
- To pursue internships abroad in the medical field, in areas which are necessary for practicing medicine in Trinidad and Tobago, including the Foundation Programme.
- To pursue other internships abroad which will add significant value to the Scholars ability to perform obligatory service within Trinidad and Tobago;
- To pursue residency programmes and postgraduate programmes in the medical field that are aligned to the needs of the health sector within Trinidad and Tobago.
- To pursue short-term employment or attachments, of not more than two (2) years, in foreign jurisdictions, which will provide requisite skills, abilities and work experience in their particular field of study, enhance the scholar’s competencies and allow him/her to perform at a higher level within Trinidad and Tobago.
- Certifiable reasons relating to the Scholar’s medical fitness.
- The Recipient requires additional time to complete the programme of study, thesis or research and/or a request for an extension of scholarship has been declined.
Click here if you wish to apply for a Deferral of Obligatory Service